Re: apache BASIC authentication w/large userbase

On Wed, Apr 03, 2002 at 06:35:22PM -0500,
 Jeff S Wheeler <jsw@five-elements.com> wrote
 a message of 39 lines which said:

> would not go for that because apparently a disproportionate number of
> their end-users disable cookies in their web browser.  Stupid media
> privacy paranoia.

You are wrong.

> short term we replaced mod_auth_mysql with an apache module I whipped up
> to send requests out via UDP to a specified host/port, and wait for a
> reply (with a 3 second timeout).  Then I hacked out a quick Perl program
> to handle those requests, hit mysql for actual user/password info, and

So you reinvented LDAP :-)

apt-get install libapache-auth-ldap

A typical ".htaccess":

AuthType Basic
AuthName LDAP@Netaktiv
AuthLDAPURL ldap://ldap.netaktiv.com/ou=People,dc=netaktiv,dc=com?uid?sub?(objectClass=*)
require valid-user