debconf: delaying package configuration, since apt-utils is not installed

Hi friends,

I use apt-get and some time dselect to install packages on my servers,
always in a hurry, and most time whith the only hope that every thing will
be OK. And its work, very well indeed. Note that I useally have rather
simple configs.

So yesterday I tried to :
   apt-get install less on a woody
(to fetch dpkg -l whith up and down arrows) and I have been gratified whith
a :
   debconf: delaying package configuration, since apt-utils is not installed

Most package add been installed on this machine whit dselect (which is quite
frightening). And I'm looking for the way to recover the entire list of
installed package in dpkg.

(I just think is time to stop using dselect and read the docs, but it's
going to take a long time to understand every thing !!)

If some one know a tips to recover the package configuration...

TIA,

Alexis