Re: Exim + POP3 + quota problems

On Mon, Mar 18, 2002 at 12:51:55PM -0500, Loren Jordan wrote:
> If you are able to re compile Qpopper, you can change the location of the
> <user>.lock file as a compile option, just put it some where there is no
> quota checking.  You will also need to adjust the configuration of your MDA
> to watch for lock files in that new location.

MDA or MTA, but also MUA...

> I ran into this same problem
> a couple of years ago (when I worked at Qualcomm :).  I was also constantly
> having to repair the users mbox files because of corruptions in the headers
> that would cause Qpopper to die.

You mean when it didn't use right lockfiles?

> There are a lot of compile time options that you can adjust and if you just
> have to keep using it, do re-compile with the "server mode" enabled.  I
> forget the exact name of that option but it keeps the users spool file
> copies to only 1 per session.  This change alone brought the load on our
> mail servers down to less than 1.0.

Right, but the manpage says I shouldn't use that mode if users also read
mail using MUAs.

> I would recommend going with something like qmail (I like it more than
> anything else I have used) or any other pop server that supports
> Maildir.

Actually I have to deal with qmail on another machine, and I prefer
exim...  and it supports Maildir delivery as well, so I think I'll just
try to switch to it.

Marcin
--
Marcin Owsiany <porridge@debian.org>             http://marcin.owsiany.pl/
GnuPG: 1024D/60F41216  FE67 DA2D 0ACA FC5E 3F75  D6F6 3A0D 8AA0 60F4 1216