Re: upgrading just one "stable" package to "testing" version

On Sun, Mar 17, 2002 at 11:03:51 +1100, Toby Thain wrote:
> I've just upgraded one Debian 2.2 machine from stable to testing and other
> 2.2 stable machines can't ssh into it ("Disconnecting: Bad packet length
> 1349676916").

The SSH in stable only supports version 1 of the SSH protocol; if you
configure your "testing" machine to accept that older version of the
protocol (by putting "Protocol 2,1" in /etc/ssh/sshd_config and restarting
ssh), SSH-ing from your stable machines works.

> So I'd like to upgrade ssh on the client machine to the "testing" version.
> But I don't know how to do this other than adding "testing" to the apt-get
> sources, dselect upgrade, etc., which will upgrade everything. Can anyone
> explain to me how to be more selective?

You'll need testing's apt (plus its depencencies) for that. The following
should work (though I'm not aware of people actually using this
configuration as most simply fully upgrade to testing, so you may want to
use the "-s" flag to apt-get to see what it intends to do before actually
doing these steps):
- add "testing" entries to /etc/apt/sources.list in addition to the entries
  for "stable"
- "apt-get update"
- "apt-get install apt"
- create an /etc/apt/preferences with contents
	Package: *
	Pin: release a=stable
  to have apt default to the stable versions
- install testing's ssh by requesting it explicitly:
  "apt-get -t testing install ssh"

HTH,
Ray
--
Professionele hackers kunnen uw bedrijf veel schade berokkenen.
	Snail-mail spam van het Nederlands Normalisatie-Instituut