Re: booting from CompactFlash Cards

On Thu, Mar 14, 2002 at 01:29:29PM +0100, Christian Hammers wrote:
> Hello
>
> I plan to replace a Cisco by a Linux router and would like to use a
> "compact flash" card instead of a hard drive to minimize hardware outages.
>
> Can anybody recommend me a CompactFlash solution that allowes booting?
>
> As far as I learned those cards have build-in IDE adapters and are
> connected to the PC via a simple connector-adapter to a 40pin IDE cable.
> Sadly at least Verbatim do not think that their cards are able to present
> a correct "master boot record" to the BIOS although I can see no difference
> between requesting sector 0 on track 0 (MBR) and any other position.

We use "no name" CF cards with ACS CF<->IDE adapters (about $20 each),
and it works fairly well, just like a normal IDE drive.

The only thing is that the CF are PIO only, and thus are quite slow
(about 1 Mb/sec), and use a lot of CPU bandwidth, just like any PIO drive.

But it's fun and amazing :)

--
Nicolas BOUGUES
Axialys Interactive