Re: Problem with RAID1 on kernel 2.4

Hello Russell

Thanks for your comments.

On 26 Feb 2002, at 11:32, Russell Coker wrote:

> > 2)  Then I had endless problems with raid1.  It seems that the
> >     "failed-disk" directive in /etc/raidtab does not work.  I think
> >     it has something to do with devfs - which is compiled into the
> >     standard "woody" 2.4 kernel.
>
> No.  failed-disk has always worked fine for me with devfs.

I have not been able to reproduce the problem again.  However I
think I had the index values in the raidtab file wrong.

I had

raiddev                 /dev/md0
  raid-level            1
  nr-raid-disks         2
  nr-spare-disks        0
  chunk-size            4
  persistent-superblock 1
  device                /dev/hda5
  raid-disk             0
  device                /dev/hdc5
  failed-disk             1
  device                /dev/hde5
  spare-disk           3

when it should have been

raiddev                 /dev/md0
  raid-level            1
  nr-raid-disks         2
  nr-spare-disks        0
  chunk-size            4
  persistent-superblock 1
  device                /dev/hda5
  raid-disk             0
  device                /dev/hdc5
  failed-disk             1
  device                /dev/hde5
  spare-disk           0

NB note the last line of each block.

The man page shows and example but it is not clear on how the
index numbers should be set.

I have not had a chance to rebuild the raid to see if this was in fact
my problem.  The server is running and serving web pages ...

And yes, I am using raidtools2!

Thanks

Ian

Ian Forbes ZSD
http://www.zsd.co.za
Office: +27 21 683-1388  Fax: +27 21 674-1106
Snail Mail: P.O. Box 46827, Glosderry, 7702, South Africa