htaccess being ignored in DirectoryMatch and Directory ~

Hello

I have a problem with apache from potato (i dont know if
newer version also). When i try do set AllowOverride
for directories using regexp's  <Direcotry ~ regexp> or
<DirectoryMatch regexp> they are just beeing ignored.
So, the question is how to enable htaccess files for
users? I found that Sheldon Hearn had similiar problem:
it was reported as a bug. Suggested solution was to use
<Directory /home/*/public_html> but it didn't worked for
me, and as Sheldon didn't responded to bugteam's response
 :-) problem was considered done.
And I still have a problem... so any suggestions are
welcome

Thanks
JA