Auth - ISP via *WEB

I know a system that on dial-up connections uses
generic user/password (e.g. login: nail / password:
nail) and dial to a provider phone number like:
234-5678. But until now the person can't surf by the
net. It just can view a unique page, which will ask
for real login/password. After this 2nd authentication
one can surf to another pages on the net. Does anyone
already saw it, and know that mechanism? I want to
know it, but I don't make idea where begin...

I beg your pardon about my english, ok :)

Thiago Marum

=====