Re: RAID Suggestion for webserver

On Mon, 11 Feb 2002 06:34, Jason Lim wrote:
> Okay... for those of you following the previous RAID discussion... I
> bought the 3ware cards.
>
> Each server has 4 40G hard disks (identical). What RAID level/config do
> you suggest?
> Main usage is web/database/mail server (the usual hosting setup). Disk
> performance isn't THAT important, but reliability is.

Why not go the whole hog and put all the drives in a RAID-1 and have 4 copies
of all your data?

For a mail server, database server, or other machine where you can only have
one copy of the data you want to be really paranoid about the drives.

For a web server I suggest having two servers.  Use RAID-1 for simple
mirroring of the data (if only to save yourself the effort of reinstalling a
server after a minor hard drive error).  For anything serious have load
balancing at the switch or have a manual take-over proceedure to make the
other machine get both IP addresses.  Having a redundant server saves you
from memory errors, CPU over-heating, and other hardware problems (which are
probably more likely than having two hard drives die at the same time).