Re: dist-upgrade on remote server

On Tue, Feb 05, 2002 at 02:35:30PM +0100, Andreas Rabus wrote:

> Is it possible to compile a new kernel befor the reboot?

kernel-package is your friend :-)

never manualy install a kernel, create a deb and install that instead.

> Whats about
> Our remote box has an RAID Controler from GDT whos driver surely is not in
> the default kernel...

You might be surprised. The 2.4.x series kernel packages are fully modular
and have nearly everything compiled as a module. I haven't needed to compile
my own kernel since they came out, except when I needed wierd patches applied.

However, make sure you pick the right kernel, and make sure the right
modules will be loaded when it boots. I installed the 2.4-17-686
kernel on this machine before I remembered it was a Pentium classic
(-586tsc) not a Celeron. Fortunately I remembered while the reboot countdown
was going, so I stopped it and installed the right one (only to still stuff
it up).

The discover package is pretty cool for automaticly loading the right
modules. It gets it right about 90% of the time. The only thing I've seen it
get wrong was the rtl8139 instead of 8139too for the 2.4.x kernels. But the
safe way is modconf :-)

Oh, yeah, the other thing to make sure of is your lilo.conf needs the initrd
entry for the 2.4.x kernels.