Re: unstable is "unstable"; stable is "outdated"

Feel free to disagree with any point I made, 'cause I'm not as good as I sound.

I'll throw my $.02 here.

I think there is a more fundamental problem here. That is somehow incorporating the latest apache into stable will somehow make stable break. What needs to get done is to build a distro which isolates applications to a sufficient degree that they don't break each other. If you are able to build a distro like that then all you have to worry about is the application itself. If postgres 7.2 is deemed stable then you add it to your stable distro. Apple has done very interesting things with their bundle system if anyone cares to look, encap also looks pretty interesting.

Ideally a distribution should act like this.
Applications should not overly interfere with each other.
It should be possible to install multiple versions of the same application.
The distribution should be able to incorporate manually installed applications (make install)
It should be possible to reconstruct the package database from the disk drive.

all that and apt goodness too of course.

feel free to add your own to the list.

:wq
Tim Uckun
US Investigations Services/Due Diligence
 http://www.diligence.com/