Re: unstable is "unstable"; stable is "outdated"

I thinking the problem here, as I mentioned before, is one of semantics as opposed to a real problem.

Options are:
1) "unstable"
	pros: Very up to date,
	cons:  Occasion big bug that can do damage
	user:  Someone who knows there way around Linux pretty well and likes to say,"I use unstable 'cause I'm so cool!"

2) "testing"
	pros: Pretty up to date, very stable
	cons:  May have the latest-greatest version of an app a week or two after your buddy using "unstable".  Last to get security upgrades.
	user:  Someone who actually uses their computer to get work done and is less worried about being the latest greatest cool guy.  Someone who laughs at their co-working trying to figure out why init keeps bombing after his last "unstable" upgrade.

3) "stable"
	pros: Rock stable, quicker security updates than testing.
	cons:  old
	user: critical server.

Most of these characterization are user standpoint.  If I had a server that was super critical, I'd use stable (or *BSD).  The two servers I have don't have a huge load and it's not a big deal if they go down (not to sound like a huge power user, 'cause I'm talking about a home network and a minor server at work).  I have testing on them.

In short, if you're a user, it doesn't make sense to use stable.  Use testing or unstable and you're system will be as "up to date", if not more, as any distro.  If you're running a server, just use testing, unless security is a big issue.  Then use stable.  Or use testing and keep a watch on the linux security pages, and manually apply the newest patches when they come out.

IMHO, there is a level for any use inside the various debian trees.  The biggest problem from a PR standpoint for debian is in the names.

Feel free to disagree with any point I made, 'cause I'm not as good as I sound.

--
Lang

Is uniformity attainable?  Millions of innocent men, women, and
children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt,
tortured, fined, imprisoned; yet we have not advanced one inch towards
uniformity.  What has been the effect of coercion?  To make one half
of the world fools, and the other half hypocrites.
  -- Thomas Jefferson