Re: MacOS, Debian router and ADSL/PPPoE (OT Net Tuner does not work for HTTP)

On Wed, Jan 30, 2002 at 07:44:17PM +0100,
 jernej horvat <j@aufbix.org> wrote
 a message of 14 lines which said:

> but if NAT gw machine has MTU already set do 1492, then there is no need for
> "NATed" clients to change MTU.

Are you sure? Because NAT does not change the packet size. If I don't
change the MTU of the Unix boxes behing the router, they have
problems, too (connecting to FTP servers work, lsing a large directory
hangs, etc). This fact is widely known and documented. See for
instance <URL:http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/DSL-HOWTO/tuning.html> or
the URLs I gave.

> i call pppoe with "-m 1412". if this helps you...

The MTU of the PPP link (1492) seems fine, the router itself has no
problems. And remember, only MacOS has problems.