Re: Software VS Hardware Raid

On Wed, 30 Jan 2002 17:54, jose@iteso.mx wrote:
> > detected the drive, but during the part that "lilo: " is supposed to come
> > up, nothing did. The disk kept grinding and grinding, and eventually
> > asked for a floppy. I was hoping that the 2nd, working drive in the raid
> > array would kick in any moment, but that didn't happen. Everything
> > stalled right there.
>
>   Lilo would have to know about your RAID setup (and of course it doesn't),
>   that's why it's not recommended to use software RAID on the root
> partition.

Who recommends that you don't use software RAID on the root file system?

Not me (lilo maintainer and user of this), not the lilo author, not the
software RAID kernel maintainer.

>   I'd say software RAID should be used on data partitions, and keep a
> backup of your root partition somewhere, so that when the disk holding it
> fails, you just swap in a new one and recover your root backup. When a disk
> holding the data partition (on sw/raid) fails I assume it'd work as
> advertised.

If the primary disk fails and the BIOS and boot loader don't allow booting
from the second disk then you just have to physically swap disks (which is
much less effort than swapping disks and restoring from backup).

>   You can't be 24x7-high-availability with software raid only, there's
> always some down time involved with it, or at least a higher risk of
> downtime than with hardware raid.

Actually LinuxBIOS could solve this issue...