Re: Software VS Hardware Raid

On Wed, 30 Jan 2002, Jason Lim wrote:

> >  Depending on your syslog configuration, it whines that you should
> change the
> >  faulty drive with a good one until you do.
>
> Thats want I want then... ;-)

[..and from 'closest to debian']
>>Unfortunately, if this happens at 3am in the morning, no one wants to go

  I forgot to mention that a kewl feature of these controllers (maybe some others
  also have it, but when I did my reaserch to buy RAID I dont remember that
  anyone else's had this) you can define a 'hot-spare' drive and assign it
  to a given array (or several), so that when a disk in an array gets fsckd up,
  the controller automagically starts to rebuild the array with this 'hot-spare',
  which becomes now part of it and thus no longer available for other arrays...
  so you get redundancy back as soon as it finishes rebuilding the array by the
  morning :).

> The 3ware 7xxx IDE RAID cards and associated hotwap bays are hotswap... at
> a price.
>
> wypiwyg (what you pay is what you get) in this case.

  Yup, I agree, the dual channel 64bit FC RAIDs + JBODs + disks its the most
  expensive thing we've got here (pricier than the not-so-shameful debian boxes
  they are attached to, actually). But the single channel SCSI/Ultra160s are not
  that expensive considering they basically have all the features of the first
  ones, only missing fibrechannel related stuff, actually.

  The only problem we had with them was with those pesky Intel GX mobos, but
  that changed when the 'new' STL2s came in.

              Jose