LDAP Woes....

I am ahving problems connecting to a local LDAP server. Here is what I did.
Install slapd
install libnss-ldap
install pibpam-ldap

I run ldap and it starts OK. If I run netstat -ln it shows ldp port as being listened to. If I try ldapsearch (with or without -h option) I get an error message that says it can not connect to ldap server.
I can not telnet to localhost ldap port.
/etc/init.d/slapd stop does not work (i need to do a killall -9 slapd to stop it)
The syslog is not very helpful because ldapsearch has not connected.

What entry do I need to put where to get slapd to listen properly. This is driving me nuts.

:wq
Tim Uckun
US Investigations Services/Due Diligence
 http://www.diligence.com/