Re: redundant mail servers

Florian Friesdorf said :
 >> I just read through the drbd homepage and HOWTO. Sounds very good to
 >> me.  Can you recommend it?  Did anyone experience any strange/bad
 >> behaviour using it?

Well I do. Here we have a failover 2-node cluster serving NFS over DRBD
and (surprisingly) it works like a charm. I guess it would be no major
hassle to setup a mailserver in the same fashion...

A few caveats though :
  - Use a dedicated ethernet link for replication
	- Imagine and plan every possible failure cases and create a backup
		plan for each.

 >> From what I've read, I'm going to try last stable version 0.5.8 and
 >> therefore downgrade to 2.2.x kernels (at the moment I'm running 2.4.x)

I'm using 0.58 here (because we *had* to use 2.2), and it works, but
Phillip Reisner (DRBD's Author) strongly suggest upgrading. And I
believe he's right. Whith 0.58 you might have very weird problems if the
sync link goes down. It is said that 0.6.* are better... Didn't check.

		Nicolas

--
nicolas@bouthors.org -- http://nicolas.bouthors.org/ -- +33 6 2071 6234
Administateur Systèmes et Réseaux   --    GHS    --    38, Rue du Texel