Re: apache-dns cname-vhost

On Wednesday 16 January 2002 19:59, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach Jesse <jg@floridasunonline.net> [2002.01.16.2031 +0100]:
> > > however, you can't place
> > >
> > > vhost.com. IN CNAME ...
> > >
> > > into a zone for our.real.domain.
> > >
> > > maybe it would even work, but you need a separate zone file for
> > > each.
> >
> > It did work believe it or not :)
>
> i tried it, and:
>
> Jan 16 22:00:30.735 general: warning: dns_master_load:
>   var/zones/madduck.net/db.zone:59: ignoring out-of-zone data
>   (www2.belligerence.net)
>
> what BIND are you running? BIND 9.2.1 over here...

Yeah, it didn't work.  I'm having some problems getting things working
here (which is why I'm slow on the email responses, I had pissed off
users, and a very understanding boss to deal with).  Using you're tips
I was able to get DNS to load without any errors.  Thanks.  However, I
messed up, and had to revert back to the original configuration.  Below
I detail my situation and ask for help as I'm getting confused.

We have a caching only nameserver on our firewall.  Apparently, whoever
setup the original DNS on that machine "had" to put zone files in there
pointing to our internal host in order for the local lan to access our
hosted sites.  The caching nameserver's A records all use a
192.168.1.XXX address to point to the internal server.  The internal
server is running DNS and all it's A records use the actual registered
(is that the right word?) static IP of our external (Internet
connected) firewall.  This seems backwards to me but for some reason
this works.  Following are some things that have me confused:

1.  How does the actual IP address translation happen?  If external
requests hit our caching nameserver which then points to an internal
IP, does the caching nameserver query the internal one, and then pass
the IP address it gets back from the internal nameserver to the
external request?  If that's so, then having the A records on the
caching nameserver point to local IP's makes sense.  It seems weird to
me that a "caching only" nameserver would need A records at all but I'm
new to this and haven't seen any documentation that addresses this
specifically.

2.  The mail services are currently defined using A records something
like this:
mail.ourdomain.com IN A ip_address

where ip_address is a local ip on the caching nameserver and the
registered ip on the internal server.  I tried changing these to MX
records and mail just died.  I used this form:
mail.ourdomain.com IN MX 10 ourdomain.com.

I believe this problem is due to something more fundamental to our DNS
configuration, but I'm not sure.

I appreciate your patience and help in this.  It seems I "poisoned" the
dns service when I dove in without examining everything properly before
I started.  Since then, I've reverted to our previous configuration and
the dns servers out there seem to be catching up now.  Thanks again.

Jesse