Re: apache-dns cname-vhost

also sprach Jesse <jg@floridasunonline.net> [2002.01.16.2031 +0100]:
> > however, you can't place
> > vhost.com. IN CNAME ...
> > into a zone for our.real.domain.
>
> It did work believe it or not :)

are you kidding me???
i am going to have to try that right now...

i can't reproduce it. where is this nameserver of yours? how do you
access it?

anyway, don't do it that way. seriously, trust me.

> I didn't realize this was how it worked.  Thanks.

no prob.

> Yes this makes sense.  One more question though.  What about reverse
> zones.  Do I need one for each?  I'm not sure how that works but it
> seems that getting the correct name back from one IP will be a little
> difficult?  Is it possible to just do a reverse zone for the
> 192.168.1.0 net?

sure. just like the normal zones with two changes:

(1) you reverse the IP itself:   1.168.192
    you append .in-addr.arpa

    so:

    zone "1.168.192.in-addr.arpa" IN {
      type master;
      file "db.192.168.1";
    };

(2) you still have NS records, but no A, AAAA, CNAME, or MX records
    (SOA you need still, and RP and TXT are fine too...)
    instead, use PTR. for instance, to map 192.168.1.1 to
    "router.mydomain.com", have a line like this in the zone file for
    the 1.168.192.in-addr.arpa zone:

    1 IN PTR router.mydomain.com.

that's it.

btw: i'd suggest reading [1] and possibly purchasing [2] if you are
going to be doing DNS for a while. it's a truly excellent book.

  1. http://www.fokus.gmd.de/linux/HOWTO/DNS-HOWTO.html
  2. http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/dns4/

as i was going up the stair
i met a man who wasn't there.