Re: EXIM, LDAP and some pop3 stuff?

On Sam, 12 Jan 2002, Kevin Littlejohn wrote:

Seems to me so, too.

I wonder if this problem is so far of that there are no
'standard' ways of doing it. Every MTA has it's way, every
IMAP/POP3 MDA has it's own way - where mta1 only works with
mda2 and mta3 only with mda1.

Worst of all the IMAP server who promote their own protocol
and see LDAP as its disabled stepbrother.

But I think this is an inherent UNIX / LDAP problem. LDAP seems
a very powerful tool doing for UNIX everything the 'Regestry' has
done for windows - and more. Whats missing here is some standardized
way of how to do it.

Got a little of topic, sorry.

> Look to using pam for pop3 passwords, and configure pam to use ldap.
> That's the most likely way to make it work.
>
> KJL
>
> On Sat, 2002-01-12 at 10:47, Florian Bantner wrote:
> > Seems I'm really to stupid to find my piece of information by
> > myself, but: First things first.
> >
> > I'm switching to doing mail-handling with LDAP in order to get rid
> > of the 'dead' users in my passwd. Configuring EXIM with LDAP should
> > just work fine. Enter the users in LDAP under some domain-branches,
> > let exim look there for it's delivery and put mail under
> > /var/mail/<domain>/<user>. Here we go.
> >
> > Problem is now: How to get the mail delivered to the users via pop3.
> > None of the pop3-daemons I managed to find supports LDAP by heart
> > even if it seems so simple: Lookup user/pass in LDAP, find
> > mail-directory and deliver. Am I looking at the wrong place?
> >
> > btw. using potato.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Florian Bantner

Florian Bantner          AXON-E Interaktive Medien
Tel. +49-941-599 854 4      Fax. +49-941-599 854 1
Mail f.bantner@axon-e.de
Key  http://www.axon-e.de/gpg/f.bantner.key
1191 0C87 D9DB 3217 ABBA  5223 6D74 AB19 5C9D FC49