Re: blocking ports

[greg: please wrap your lines at 76 characters...]

also sprach Greg Hunt <greg@supplyedge.com> [2002.01.10.1850 +0100]:
> The reason it reports it as filtered is if someone tries to connect to
> a port on which you're not running a service, say port 12345, your
> server will respond back with a TCP/IP packet with the RST, ACK flags
> set (I know RST, I think ACK too). nmap sees this as closed. If you
> filter something out with iptables, a packet with RST flag is never
> sent back, nmap just times out trying to connect and assumes it's
> filtered.

woops. discard my ICMP port unreachable thingie. (when is that sent???)

> I'm not sure, but if you compile your kernel with iptables support and
> use the REJECT target support (which sends back an ICMP error in
> response to the attempted connection), nmap might say closed instead
> of filtered (although since it's different than a packet with RST set,
> maybe it still realizes it's filtered through a firewall).

you can even make iptables can be made to do this too:

iptables -A ....... -j REJECT --reject-with tcp-reset

with searching comes loss
and the presence of absence:
file not found.