Re: blocking ports

The reason it reports it as filtered is if someone tries to connect to a port on which you're not running a service, say port 12345, your server will respond back with a TCP/IP packet with the RST, ACK flags set (I know RST, I think ACK too). nmap sees this as closed. If you filter something out with iptables, a packet with RST flag is never sent back, nmap just times out trying to connect and assumes it's filtered.
I'm not sure, but if you compile your kernel with iptables support and use the REJECT target support (which sends back an ICMP error in response to the attempted connection), nmap might say closed instead of filtered (although since it's different than a packet with RST set, maybe it still realizes it's filtered through a firewall).

--
------SupplyEdge-------
Greg Hunt