Re: Mailserver with accounts seperated from unix-accounts

On Monday, September 24, 2001, at 03:06 , Erik Tews wrote:

I would like to have the mail-accounts seperated from
the normal unix-accounts.

Me too.

It seems that this:

	* Mailserver with non-system passwords
	* SMTP-AUTH to allow relaying by people anywhere
	* Sharing authentication between SMTP and IMAP server

is the "HELP I CANT GET PPP WORKING" of the new millennium, which is to say that everyone wants it, but no distro seems to support it easily *and*
 there are no decent docs.

Mail servers in general seem to be the deepest magic on a Unix box, and they all seems to have configuration systems which were designed to be antagonistic even towards people who can handle any other administration task while driving, brushing their teeth, and having sex.

So I second this emotion. Can someone please write a cookbook style document for how to achieve the above configuration? Perhaps one using userdb and one using an sql database. I would be happy to do it myself but I've been banging my head against my keyboard for the past 4 days trying to get this very thing working.

My apologies if I'm way off base; all suggestions gratefully accepted.

--
Shawn Boyette      | Create something, perfect it to be yours for all
Sciolist adept,    | time; for everything else you posess will fall