Re: Kernels 2.4.x for ISP ?

> I'd like to try with kernel 2.4.x + ResierFS, but I worry a little about
> it's maturity. Is it really stable now ?
>
> Can anyone here write about his/her experiences with 2.4.x ?

I have been running a 2.4.{1,2,3} series kernel at my home for a couple of months.
Dual 1Ghz PIII's. I got 4 45GB ATA100 IBM Deskstars running in a software Raid
5 configuration. I formatted the resulting md device with Reiserfs. I get
about 130GB total diskspace. This box gets heavy usage, about 1GB data
daily transfer. I have 70,000+ files.
I'm getting about 3.5MB/sec write-through rate on uncached data. Not bad
for Linux software raid on IDE (I guess). File deletions/creations are
practically instantaneous. The `find' command is blazing fast.
I have (unexpectedly) cold-rebooted the machine 3 times so far (for
unrelated reasons.) Reiser has come through like a champion. It
rolls back a few transactions and mounts the 130GB (50% full) volume
in a couple of minutes (instead of 15-20 minutes).
The software raid, on the other hand delays the boot for about 7
minutes (only after a crash) and takes abut 30-40 minutes for
parallel reconstruction to complete depending on usage.
--
Jean-Paul Stewart
Senior Systems Administrator

CarbonMedia, Inc.