Re: Strange apache behaviour? (solved)

On Sun, Dec 09, 2001 at 08:19:52PM -0500, Bob Billson wrote:
> > apache builds, I was suggesting that this could be an optional
> > feature maybe made in /etc/apache/cron.conf,
>
> I agree.  Why not file a "wishlist" bug report against apache?
>
> > /etc/cron.daily/apache is marked as a conf file, so the next time
> > apache is updated/upgraded, the changes will be overwritten and yet
> > again need to be manually changed. See the problem?
>
> Yup and I agree.  I've had my changes overwritten as well.  Add that
> to the wishlist bug report and see if the package maintainer agrees.

huh?

/etc/cron.daily is a conffile and will not be overwritten on upgrade
without dpkg asking you for permission.

$ cat /var/lib/dpkg/info/apache.conffiles
/etc/init.d/apache
/etc/cron.daily/apache

/etc/apache/cron.conf isn't a conffile. it's copied from
/usr/share/doc/apache/examples/cron.conf *only* if it doesn't already
exist. i don't know why he did it like that. i would have just made
it a conffile

btw, i wrote the /etc/apache/cron.conf thing and edited the apache
cron.daily script to use it a few years ago and submitted it as a patch.
its purpose was to provide a way for the sysadmin to specify when the
log files should be rotated as there wasn't really any sensible default.
small sites might like weekly, but large sites probably want daily.

i think netgod added the CHOWN bit himself. it wouldn't be hard at all
to add another variable for permissions, defaulting to the current 640.

craig

--
craig sanders <cas@taz.net.au>

Fabricati Diem, PVNC.