Re: mta confusion

On Thu, 18 Oct 2001, David Bishop wrote:

> Currently:
> Using sendmail with webmin and the webmin control module
> Using webmail based off of the webmin control module for sendmail
> Each user has a real account on the box for uploading files/whatnot
> Normal spam-free setup (non-promisc according to mail-abuse.org)
> Forwards for local ip addresses, non-authenticating
>
> Needs:
> Be able to differentiate between foo@bar.com and foo@fobb.net

Add:
FEATURE(`virtusertable',`hash -o /etc/mail/virtusertable.db')dnl
to /etc/mail/sendmail.mc

Then you can edit /etc/mail/virtusertable like:

sales@foobar.com	bob@localhost
support@foobar.com	alice@localhost
@foobar.com			catchall_foobar@localhost
sales@barfoo.com	tarzan@localhost
support@barfoo.com	jane@localhost
@barfoo.com			catchall_barfoo@localhost

This allows you to have complete namespaces for each domain.  The only
issue is that you're underlying database (/etc/passwd) cannot have duplicates.

Ie if both foobar.com  and barfoo.com want an account named cooldude. They
can't have it.  They _can_ have an email address of cooldude@....

There are other options for mass virtual hosting but they all use databases
as the auth backend.

> Not have to keep a seperate email database from the system /etc/passwd.

You can use /etc/passwd for the accounts database but you will need to keep a
seperate database of email address mappings.

> Still have an integrated webmail client that doesn't use imap, just direct
> manipulation of the mbox file.

... Why not imap.  I know it is slow but it give you a world of flexibility.
I recommend TWIG as a webmail service.  It's is fully customizable
and support virtual hosts.  So foorbar's webmail can look different to
barfoo's.   It also will NOT break POP access to the same mail box so it can
read mail however and when ever you like.  Because the webserver talks to the
imapd you don't even need to make it network contactable just by localhost.
(Unless the mail and webservers are different machines)

> Have a webmin module so the owner can "manage" the mta.

Pass ... I would imaging that the sendmail webmin module can do what you
need, BUT I've never used it so I can't say for sure.

Yours Tony.

/*
 * --Albert Einstein
 */