Strange kernel compile error

All,

I am recompiling my kernel on my file-server, it was running Debian Potato, and
on a make bzImage, i get the following error.

make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot'
as86 -0 -a -o bbootsect.o bbootsect.s
make[1]: as86: Command not found
make[1]: *** [bbootsect.o] Error 127
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot'
make: *** [bzImage] Error 2

I have tried a few different kernels, kernel 2.2.17 (kernel.org), debian kernel-
source-2.2.17 package, kernel 2.2.19 (kernel.org), debian kernel-source-2.2.19
package.

I also did apt-get dist-upgrade to Woody, to no avail.

What is causing this error? What package can i install to get this to work?
I have searched the debian package archives, and could not find any packages
that matched, and apt-get install as86 did nothing.

I havent tried to compile a kernel on this machine before.

TIA

James Mclean