Re: Problems building custom kernel with make-kpkg

Nick Jennings wrote:

> Hello,
>
>  I am trying to build my customized kernel package integrating the
>  FreeSwan source.
>

>  Crossing my fingers, I made an entry for my new image in the lilo.conf
>  (removing the initrd reference) and rebooted, but no luck: heres
>  the last few lines from my kernel panic:
>

>  Any help on what I might be doing wrong, My hunch is that it has to do with
>  no initrd image (since that's what I noticed missing). But I guess it could

That should be your problem. The kernel is missing a driver for your
filesystem. Do

apt-get install mkinitrd

It will get you mkcramfs and ash as well IIRC. Then change
/etc/mkinitrd/config
to list essential modules (like ext2 and perhaps your ethernet driver).
Then execute (assuming your kernel is called 2.4.9)

mkinitrd /lib/modules/2.4.9 > /boot/initrd-2.4.9

and put the initrd line back into lilo.conf pointing at the new initrd
file

Rerun lilo and reboot.

That should help.

   Dirk Niemeyer