[Mailer-Daemon@lists.sourceforge.net: Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender]

Hello,

 I am trying to build my customized kernel package integrating the
 FreeSwan source.

 I am running Debian 2.2 (potato) with the 2.4.9 kernel (using bunk's
 updates). I am having trouble with (I believe) initrd (which I have
 limited knowledge of.

 The 2.4.9 kernel package that I am running, uses an initrd image,
 and I grabbed the kernel source, and the .config for the debian
 kernel. (from apt-get source <kernel package name>).

 I patched in the freeswan code, and did the following:

[wolf: /usr/src/linux]# make-kpkg kernel_image

 Everything went fine, the package was dropped in /usr/src, the problem
 is when I installed it (using dpkg -i), it did not put an initrd
 image in /boot/ but the System.map config and vmlinuz image were all
 there.

 Crossing my fingers, I made an entry for my new image in the lilo.conf
 (removing the initrd reference) and rebooted, but no luck: heres
 the last few lines from my kernel panic:

Linux IP multicast router 0.06 plus PIM-SM
klips_info: ipsec_init: KLIPS startup, FreeS/WAN IPSec version: snap2001oct9b
request_module[block-major-3]: Root fs not mounted
vfs: Cannot open root device "301" or 03:01
kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:01

 Any help on what I might be doing wrong, My hunch is that it has to do with
 no initrd image (since that's what I noticed missing). But I guess it could
 also be the freeswan source, since it's a snapshot, the latest stable
 source (1.91) could not compile with my 2.4.9 kernel, and the freeswan
 people told me to grab a snapshot (apparently there are known issues with
 2.4.9 <-> 1.91.

--
  Nick Jennings