Re: Excessive runts and giants

At 17:59 24/08/01 +0800, Sanjeev Gupta wrote:
Folks,

I have a Compaq, witha  ThunderLan NIC, connected to a Cisco Switch.
Straight connection, no hub or anything in between.

On the Cisco, the monitor shows a high degree of Runts.  Over a 1 min
period, with the link running 50% util over 100Mbps half-duples, I see about
10 collisions, and a few hundred runts, plus a dozen giants.
[...]

We had a similar problem with Intel Etherexpress Pro / Summit 48i.

After some tweaking the link is OK ONLY when both sides auto-negotiate the speed. Fixing a given speed on one side and auto-negotiation on the other slowed down the connection speed by about 80% under "heavy" load.

I'd suggest trying to play with speeds / Duplex / Auto-negotiation settings.

You may want to have a look at tcpdump too... Maybe you have an ARP problem ?

Good Luck

Olivier