Re: need advise: productive HDD is down

On Mon, 30 Jul 2001 16:16, Dmitry Litovchenko wrote:
> When connected it to another Debian (of course :) machine, fdisk says
> all partitions are ok, this 3G, this 1G etc. but "mount" refuses to
> mount any of damaged partitions.

Are there any hardware errors being reported?

> fsck (e2fsck) refuses to fix anything telling different things on
> different partitions, "Cannot mount FAT due to some blah blah blah" or
> "superblock is damaged try to run e2fsck -b 8193 blah blah blah" which
> is also failed (I mean e2fsck -b 8193).

debugfs is one program that may be able to help.  Also trying the -b8193
option may help too...

> Are there any tools to explore and optionally restore damaged ext2fs as
> we have clients mail and some sites there? Please advise some package
> names to look at.

If you are prepared to pay a few thousand US then contact me off-list for
details of a professional data recovery company that will login to your
machine over the net to recover the data (this saves the postage delay).