Re: help with site+database

On Wed, 18 Jul 2001 19:27, Mike Fedyk wrote:
> What version of glibc does RH6.2EE use?

Not sure.  Something that seemed compatible.

> Did you use >= version of java that RH has on debian?

No idea.

> What version of Oracle was this?  8i?

Something that was current about 6 months ago.

> IIRC, that was the first release for Linux.  First releases are only
> going to work on the target distribution, if at all.

As far as I recall Oracle first came out on Linux in 1999.  Would they still
be on the same release almost 2 years later?

> If it is a later version and this wasn't cleaned up, then we'd have
> more cause for complaint.
>
> Have you tried Oracle on RH?  Was it a 2.2 or 2.4 kernel?
>
> Anyway... I don't doubt that Postgresql is a great product, I'm just
> saying that just because Oracle doesn't work on Debian doesn't mean
> that it's crap.

Fair comment.  However I did not say that Oracle is crap, also I was not
judging Oracle only on it's performance on Debian but also on my experience
with Oracle on Solaris which hasn't been particularly positive either.