Re: help with site+database

On Tue, Jul 17, 2001 at 11:30:18AM +0200, Fabrizio Tivano wrote:
> > I'm constructing a new site from cero. The actual site is dinamic,
> > with a database server (the DB is over 65 Mb big). The next site
> > also will dinamic, but I would like to change the actual DB (a MS
> > SQL 7) with MySQL or (better for my, I think) a Postgresql DB.
> >
> > The number of visits, actually, is from 9000 to 45000 visits per
> > day.  Can anybody tell me what of DB (MySQL or PostgreSQL) are
> > better for me? Can explain me why? Can tell me any site about
> > benchmarks, or any date about that? Any of these databases are too
> > strong to support this number of visitors?
> >
> > The site will run with apache+php4, with database access optimized.
> > Also, we have the Oracle 9i option, but we want to make this project
> > under one of these open source option.
>
> Expecially if you have a dinamic PHP site, for me, MySQL and PHP, is the
> better  and faster solution.

actually, it's not. mysql is faster (these days, only marginally faster)
than postgres for extremely simple queries, but not for complex queries.
postgres blows mysql out of the water on anything more complex than a
single select of a bunch of fields from a single table by a single user.

postgres has more features, is more reliable, is faster in real-world
usage (i.e. moderately complex and complex queries, and multi-user
access), and has much better documentation than mysql.  Pg was designed
from the start to be a real database, whereas mysql is little more than
a jumped up filesystem with sql tacked on.

PHP is OK, but i wouldn't use mysql for anything. i really don't
understand how anyone could trust their data to a toy.

there's an excellent article comparing the relative performance of
postgresql and mysql (with the same php based application) at

http://www.phpbuilder.net/columns/tim20001112.php3

apart from that, do a search on google for "postgres mysql comparison"
or "postgres and php".

craig

--
craig sanders <cas@taz.net.au>