Re: IP Accounting and 2.4

On Tue, 3 Jul 2001, Chad C. Walstrom wrote:

<snip>

> Now, I searched the archives here and took someone's [7] suggestion to
> look at fiprad[8].  However, it's kernel module and patch are for the
> 2.2.14 kernel alone.  The last update to the website looks to be in
> March of 2000.  I was intrigued because of the fiprad daemon that
> inserted accounting for ipblocks (VERY nice way to configure by the
> way), directly into MySQL (not my favorite, but not a problem).  I was
> also intrigued by the efficient logic for logging the packets (no nest
> of ipchains rules).
>
> I'm interested in finding out what others have done for IP accounting
> for a large number of customers.  (Rate limiting and traffic shaping
> aside -- a topic for another day.)  If anyone else is interested in
> fiprad for the 2.4 kernel, let me know.  I'll send off a copy of this
> to the fiprad developers and see if they've worked on it since May
> 2000.
<snip>

Hello.

Unfortunately we havent had so much time over to work on fipra, but now it
is summer here and vacation times is upon us. So right now I am in the
process of rewriting it to 2.4.x kernels and with the netfilter structure it
seems possible that it can be totally modular finally. Hopefully we'll
have some alpha release done in a week or two for the daring.

Regards
Roger Abrahamsson

PS.
  We have run tests with fipra, and a PII-350 managed about 30mbit of
  continous throughput while logging was activated for >3000 ip adresses.
  (That was with the 2.2.14 kernel.)

Roger Abrahamsson, Sys/Net Admin, Obbit AB
Phone: (+46)(0)90 133310    Fax:(+46)(0)90 133370