Re: disk partition schemes

On Mon, Jul 02, 2001 at 03:12:31PM +0200, Russell Coker wrote:
> If your root file system is at the start then it is unlikely to be large
> enough to break any boot loaders.  Recent boot loaders are very capable...
fill it up to more than 512MB (was it that number?) and then compile a new
kernel years later and it will be after that magical border ans thus
unaccessable.

> > * /var, as used for logs, can fill up completely if a program
> > get mad and prevent other programs than just syslogd from working if
> > it's on /
> chgrp log /var/log/*log
> Set quota for log group.  Problem solved?
I would assume that disc quota increase the load on a server. As we're talking
about a heavily loaded server wich much disc IO (else this partitioning is
not necessary) this would slowdown it, or not?

> >From what I've seen LVM is much better at breaking data into pieces than
> it is at putting them back together...  I wanted to take over maintenance
> of the LVM packages for Debian but couldn't because I couldn't get it
> working with a recent kernel!
I use 2.4.6-pre7 and use LVM,reiserfs and ext3 without problems.
(maybe my kernel is just too recent...)

bye,

-christian-

--
Real men don't take backups.
They put their source on a public FTP-server and let the world mirror it.