privileges problem

Also, stock 2.4.x series kernel limits supplementary groups to 32.  There
would be a per-process penalty for increasing that limit.  You could patch
apache to include the supplemental groups when it forks children (if it does
not do this already..), but overall that is a bad solution.

See NGROUPS in include/linux/limits.h and other lines containing NGROUPS /
NGROUPS_MAX in the source if you want to go ahead with your idea.

If your users' data really can't be world-readable, your remaining option is
to run seperate httpd's for customers with these large privacy concerns.
Note that most of the time, though, your customers just don't want people
copying their whole directory structures and stealing content whole-sale.
This can be accomplished by other means, anyway, but you can give yor
customers some comfort by simply instructing them to set all their
directories with permissions o-r.

Note that CGIs/SSIs will be a security concern for you.  You had better use
suEXEC or something else such that customers cannot execute their CGI
programs as the user/group apache's children run as, if you rely on that for
your privacy/security mechanism...

- jsw