Check NIC for speed and promisc mode

Hi,

Pretty much as title.

How can I check the "real" connection speed of a NIC? These are realtek
8129/8139 network cards. The leds behind the NIC aren't exactly
informative. I was hoping there was some way to do this directly in linux
through a hardware call. I checked /proc and i couldn't find anything
pertaining to this.

On a related note, how can I check if the card is in "promisc" mode? Some
software seems to leave it in promisc mode... so once I find out if it IS
in promisc mode, how can i switch it back?

Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,
Jason