Re: Finding the Bottleneck

This statement makes me wonder:
"Also even the slowest part of a 45G drive will be twice as fast as the
fastest part of a 15G drive."

Are you sure? I never heard this before... might be a 1% difference there,
but twice as fast? The 15G runs at 7200rpms, and I assume the 45G also
does unless its a 10000rpm unit (but I don't think there are any 1000rpm
units for ata interfaces, only scsi, right?) The cache on the 15G is 2Mb,
which I assume is the same on the 45G disk.

"That an average of over 11 messages per second.  Not bad with such tiny
hardware."

Well, it doesn't seem to come to raw hardware performance here. From "top"
output, the 500mhz CPU isn't loaded and swap is not touched at all
(totally in ram). Many small-mid range servers don't run Raid
configurations. However, it does appear that a Raid setup will help
greatly in this case, even with the lower end hardware specs, don't you
think?

As soon as you clarify the first point, I think we'll be looking far more
closely at Raid solutions (either software or cheap hardware.... which
would be better.... if we go with software the bottleneck might then be
shifted to the CPU?!)

Sincerely,
Jason