Re: Webalizer and net-acct differences

> Back to questioning:
> recently i did some calculation and find out that webalizer results are
> about about 85% of the net-acct results.
> Ist that an realistic overhead form http-headers, ICMP (on or to port 80?),
> and TCP/IP frame info, etc.?

Yes. But it depends upon the kind of data served. The header size is
quite fixed, but the payload size may vary. A site with loits of small
replys will have a percentage more like 60%.

Furthermore, apache doesn't take into account *incoming* traffic,
whereas your hosting provider probably does (ie counts in both
directions). There can be great differences here if you do a lot of
"posting" (like posting big files, for instance).

> PS: we pay for the traffic "on the cable" and webalizer only gets the
> "pay-load" from http.

Then use net-acct to get the real values. Unfortunatly, there's no way
to figure out the data for various virtual servers which share the
same IP.

--
Nicolas BOUGUES
Axialys Interactive