Re: Postfix issue

On Tue, May 08, 2001 at 04:33:27PM -0400, Haim Dimermanas wrote:
> Hi Debian ISP,
>
>  After the thread we had a couple of weeks ago, I decided to give
> postfix a shot. I installed postfix from deb (using 0.0.19991231pl11-1).
>
>  It didn't work at first because of my iptables rules on the box. I
> fixed them and then I get this error when I run postfix start :
>
> postfix/master[600]: fatal: bind 127.0.0.1 port 25: Address already in
> use
>
>  I am not running anything listening on port 25, 'fuser -v 25/tcp'
> doesn't show anything. If I try telneting on port 25 I get a connection
> refused. I don't know what is going on. Help anyone ...

Edit /etc/inetd.conf and comment out the "smtp" line.
/etc/init.d/inetd reload reloads the inetd conf.

By default, exim uses inetd to accept incoming mail.  Since you
probably upgraded from exim, this is likely your problem.

Why doesn't removing exim comment out this smtp line, anyway?

Micromuse Ltd.                 | than a perfect plan tomorrow.