Re: system mirror

> 1. what kind of software will be suitable to mirror the system running
> Apache + PHP + SQL database + MTA with virtual domains.
 We use rsync ( http://rsync.samba.org ) to keep our backup servers in
sync with the front line ones. Some reasons we chose rsync was:

- Transfers only the changed portion of files so it significantly
reduces network traffic
- Allows great flexibility in what files to transfer or ignore
- Can use ssh as the transfer agent so no snooping on the transfer
- Supported on multiple platforms including NT {shiver}

> 2. what kind of connection is needed for systems with say 1000 accounts
> if mirror would have to be on other networks (different ISP's)
  That would depend on how much changes from mirror to mirror and what
you mirror (i.e. mail changes a lot but the files are small).

To givbe you an idea we mirror a server (user accounts with
htdocs,mail,MySQl, etc) last night with about 30GB of "stuff" over a
local network using full-duplex 100Mbs in just over 4 minutes. Only
about 5MB of that 30GB was actually transfered. the rest hadn't changed.

Pete Billson

--
http://www.elbnet.com
ELB Internet Service, Inc.