Fwd: Re: local APT mirror

Forgot to cc, oops.
- ----------  Forwarded Message  ----------
Subject: Re: local APT mirror
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 18:54:05 -0400
From: Jesse Goerz <jgoerz@linuxfreemail.com>
To: Andrew Savory <a.savory@btinternet.com>

On Friday 13 April 2001 04:38, Andrew Savory wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Apr, 2001 at  7:38 +0000, James Mclean wrote:
> > Any body got any tips on how to do this or docs on doing it?
>
> Sounds pretty much like what apt-proxy does. It might be worth using
> that. Not sure how you'd populate the proxy from the CDs, but one way you
> could do it if you have space to spare is copy the ISOs to disk, mount
> them through loopback, and then add the cds to the apt-proxy's
> sources.list file.
>

> Andrew.

I'm not a sysadmin so take this for what it's worth.  Here's what I do for my
home lan to mirror the debian-kde archive for potato, hack as necessary (this
is i386 specific).

#!/bin/bash
#/usr/bin/mirror_kde2

# declare variables
kde_mirror_root="/mirror/kde2/dists/potato/"
connection_up=`ifconfig | grep ppp0`

# function to do rsync stuff
do_rsync_function ()
{
  cd $kde_mirror_root
  exec rsync -v -v --dry-run -az --delete --delete-excluded \
   --exclude source/ \
   --exclude incoming/ \
   --exclude changes/ \
   --exclude qt1apps/ \
   --exclude sword/ \
   --exclude binary-alpha/ \
   --exclude binary-m68k/ \
   --exclude binary-sparc/ \
   --exclude binary-powerpc/ \
   --exclude "kde-i18n*" \
   kde.debian.net::kde/dists/potato/ .
}

# need a test to see if online
# then start connection as necessary

if [ "$connection_up" == "" ]; then
     pon provider
     sleep 1m
     do_rsync_function
else
     do_rsync_function
fi

# remove --dry-run and -v's when satisfied.
# mail output to root?

Also, check out this if you're not that familiar with rsync:
http://www.google.com/search?q=cache:eunuchs.org/linux/rsync/rsync_content.ht
ml+rsync+tutorial&hl=en

(that is a cached link at google, for some reason I couldn't hit his real
site)

I then export the mirror using nfs and put this in my sources.list

deb file:/mnt/mirror/kde2 potato kde2 main crypto optional

jesse
- --
Docs by & for Debian newbies
http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net