Re: sendmail is slow for mass mail

On Tue, Apr 03, 2001 at 02:20:51PM +0900, ARAKI Yasuhiro wrote:
> Folks,
>
> > > postfix is also faster than qmail. and more flexible. and with much
> > > better anti-spam features.
> >
> >  Could you elaborate on that?
>
> Postfix use piggyback mail transfer.
> If two or more recipients are in the same domain, postfix/smtp use
> ONLY ONE smtp connection for sending message.(like a sendmail, exim..)
> BUT qmail use newly qmail-smtp each message.

And, as I recall, postfix has less file accesses than qmail.  (And a LOT
less than sendmail.)

I love postfix: it's been a pleasure to fiddle with (with a READABLE
config) and is amazingly clear code with a wide range of versatility:
one of my favorite things is that you can mix and match flat files with
db files (usually a hash) with regex's with perl-compatble regexs...

Want to have your aliases done "normally" as a hash?  Sure.. but you can
also add in a pcre file or two, and maybe even a flat file... other than
the speed issues for each, postfix doesn't care what sort of 'map' you
use.  (You can even toss in an ldap or sql map if you want, but I
haven't needed that.)

The 'sendmail compatible' is overstated.  It doesn't read sendmail.cf.
It -does- act normally with things like .forward file, and the format of
the alias file is the same and that sort of thing.  It's actually much
easier to get postfix to do Stupid MTA Tricks than it is to do the same
with sendmail (did I mention I love pcre's?  It's nice to refuse mail
from all-numeric 'local parts' in email addresses....)