Re: sendmail is slow for mass mail

Folks,

Subject: Re: sendmail is slow for mass mail
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2001 00:31:27 -0400

> - Ease of configuration. I don't want to read a whole book to find out how I
> can enable relay for a range of IP. The fact that it is sendmail compatible
> scares me on that one.

If you want to stop smtp relay for all other hosts, use
# postconf -e "mynetworks_style = host"

> - Scalability. Comparing apples to apples, does postfix provide the tools
> when it comes to hosting tens of thousands of virtual domains?

Postfix can receive huge domains.
# postconf -e "mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.localdomain, \
			     hash:/etc/postfix/virtual"
You list your virtual domains in /etc/postfix/virtual file.

The function of the Virtual domains mainly provided by MDA.
You can use any MDA which is starting by lmtp, pipe, INET, UNIX domain socket.

> > postfix is also faster than qmail. and more flexible. and with much
> > better anti-spam features.
>
>  Could you elaborate on that?

Postfix use piggyback mail transfer.
If two or more recipients are in the same domain, postfix/smtp use
ONLY ONE smtp connection for sending message.(like a sendmail, exim..)
BUT qmail use newly qmail-smtp each message.

---
ARAKI Yasuhiro  yasu@debian.or.jp