RE: transfering amongst partitions

Hrrm, I'll try to explain a bit better this time :-)

I currently have a hard drive laid out like this:

hda1 = NTFS 4Gigs
hda2 = ext2 / 2Gigs
hda5 = swap 128 Megs
hda6 = ext2 /home 2 Gigs

and I want to end up with:

hda1 = ext2 / 4Gigs
hda2 = ext2 /home 4Gigs
hda3 = swap 128 megs

So my idea was, blow away the ntfs partition, and transfer everything over
there, then blow away the other partitions, create a new 4 gig partition and
transfer /home back.  My two problems were: what can I use to copy the data
without screwing anything up (I guess cp -ap will work?) and how to tell lilo
where the new kernel is without booting off of a floppy (which, I guess I
could probably work around).  As I said, probably making a mountain out of a
molehill, I'm just fairly new at this and don't want to screw up one of our
web servers.  The reason I want to do the "giant root partitioning scheme",
is that everytime I start dividing stuff up, I run into a situation where I
have plenty of space on one partition, and am cramped on another.  This seems
to be a simple way to avoid that :-)

Thanks for all the suggestions so far, I'm gonna start playing around with
it.

D.A.Bishop