From: Robert Davidson [mailto:debstuff@virtual.ebbs.com.au]On Behalf Of
Robert Davidson
Sent: Monday, February 26, 2001 6:09 PM
To: Michelle Konzack
Cc: debian-isp
Subject: Re: isdn4linux

On Sat, Feb 24, 2001 at 11:17:00AM +0200, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> Hello,
>
> because my Linux-Workstation has broken memory I can not
> compile anything on it.
>
> Please does anyone have a compiled (on Debian 2.1, 2.0.36)
> isdn4linux and can send it to me ???

There's a kernel patch around that lets you use dodgy ram in linux
boxes somewhere.. if you could patch a kernel (on another pc) and then
transfer it to your linux box with dodgy ram and tell the kernel where
the dodgy ram is, you might be able to get all the functionality of
your linux box back..

Personally I think: bad ram = asking for trouble, but if you apply the
patch I'm talking about to a kernel, not sure if they have it for 2.0
or just 2.2, but it could be worth looking into.

The other thing you could do is, say you have a 64mb ram chip in your
pc, and the chip where say 35mb sits is stuffed, you could just tell
lilo (or whatever you use to boot with) to pass "mem=32M" to the kernel
so it won't use that dodgy bit of ram (just the first 32mb of good
ram).

Regards,
Robert Davidson.