Re: virtual pop login

On Tue, 20 Feb 2001, Matt Fair wrote:

> Linuxconf gives these users ids and stores the information in
> /etc/vmail/passwd.virtualhostname, /etc/vmail/alias.virtualhostname, and
> /etc/vmail/shaddow.virtualhostname.
> I believe the user is to login with for example netscape or some other email
> client, the server would recognize the user by its username and domain.  So

Oh. So they are not real Unix logins -- just POP3 (or maybe IMAP).

> you can have a user joe@domain1.com and joe@domain2.com, both have login joe
> but are two separate email accounts.
> In order to get this to work, I need to have the system look up those other
> passwd, alias, and shadow files.  I don't know how to set that up.

You need to have a POP3 (and/or IMAP) server that will do this.

I don't use Linuxconf so I don't exactly understand what you need. But I
do use a POP3 that can supposedly work with Linuxconf.

> > When a user logs in to check their email I would like to have it check
> > /etc/passwd and /etc/aliases, and  if the user/password isn't in their
> > it will look in the /etc/vmail/passwd.VIRTUALHOST  and
> > /etc/vmail/aliases.VIRTUALHOST files.

Except that is checks the virtual passwd file first.

Look at: http://www.ndn.net/perl/minorfish/gnu-pop3d-list/2000/06/12 and
http://www.reedmedia.net/projects/virtualmail/.

  Jeremy C. Reed
     BSD software, documentation, resources, news...
     http://bsd.reedmedia.net/