Re: (nearly) dynamic DNS update

Leigh,

> > 1 Is there a dynDNS provider, who has a longer, configurable
> > ping interval?
>
> I use Dyndns, http://www.dyndns.org , which actually discourages constant
> updates from the same IP. I think, though, you do need to update at least
> once every 30
> days or so.

This is great.  I hadn't realised that such providers exist, my experience
has been with thos that expect you to keep "pinging" them.

> > 2 Is there some DNS update package, that can signal my
> > always up server, running BIND, which can update its table?
> > (preferred)
>
> Not sure about updating a local DNS, as no one but you could use it
> anyway, since your IP changes constantly.

I was thinking of allowing updates from everywhere, actually.  Not secure,
but hope to get lost in the anonymity of a million domains.

> To update Dyndns, I use a
> package called ez-ipupdate, which runs as a daemon to check for ip
> changes, and automatically fires off an update to Dyndns. Not sure about
> the URL for that, but they do have a link to it on Dyndns' site.

ez-ipupdate is debianized, in unstable.

Thanks, I believe this will work.