Re: NOC scripting

Debian Ghost wrote:

> Hello Debian-ISPers,
>
> I work in a fairly large NOC that monitors many various systems (many
> unix). I am working on developing a survailance system that accesses the
> various systems. I plan on using debian as the OS of the survailance
> system and have installed potato stable on a few test systems I will be
> using to develop the system. I plan on using enlightenment as a WM and
> wanted to ask for advice on the best way to write a script to open
> multiple terminal windows (Eterm or Xterm) to connect and log in to the
> many various systems that we monitor. As it stands now, most of the
> analyists use NT as a desktop, but I have been given the go ahead to try
> to develop a system that will be superior to the NT setup. I hope that I
> can launch one startup script (on X initiation) that will basically place
> all my windows on various virtual desktops and rsh and/or telnet and login
> to the devices that need to be accessed. Does anyone on this list have a
> suggestion or a starting place on launching multiple windows and/or a way
> to script an automatic telnet login?
>
> Thanks in advanced!
>
> Ashby Gochenour
> NTELOS
> NOC

You should check-out "expect". But really, why don't you install
something like NetSaint (http://www.netsaint.org)? What is the reason
for you to login on so many system - and with _telnet_ ?? You should
atleast use SSH (OpenSSH comes to mind, released under GPL and all =) ).

I'd say that you should atleast take a look at NetSaint, including all
3rd party modules. I can't imagine anything that you can't do with
NetSaint but you can do with a Telnet session (unless you are running
some wierd interactive software).

NetSaint runs on most UNIX/BSD/Linux platforms, but limited controll
over NT (SNMP only IIRC).

Best regards
 Michael Boman

--
"eLINUX  ---  Enabling the Net Economy on Linux"
Michael Boman                   eLinux Pte Ltd