Re: traffic accounting

Hi

On Thu, Jan 18, 2001 at 03:16:34PM +0100, Teun Vink wrote:
> I would like to setup up some sort of traffic accounting in our
> network. I know how to do this using ipchains rules, but the problem is
> that our network is completely redundant, so each machine in the network
> has two gateways (both Debian boxes).

> Does anybody know of a tool which can automatically combine the accounting
> of multiple routers into one set of statistics?
Well, if you need graphical accounting you can try to stick with Hoth
(incidentally written by me ;)). You can stack whatever data you want on
the top of each other (the example graph on the page stacks tcp with icmp
with irc, what is completely senseless...), so you can stack the traffic
of two interfaces as well.

It is based on RRDtool to store the data and the rest is a small perl
script. See more at:
http://joker.rhwd.de/software/hoth

Biggest caveat: Not a seamless installation and almost no few docs.

And if someone helps me to read the netlink sockets for accounting in
Linux 2.4 I will port it as well. I wasn't successful yet in any way,
neither in perl nor in python (help is really appreciated! :))..

MfG/Regards, Alexander

--
Alexander Reelsen   http://joker.rhwd.de
ref@linux.com       GnuPG: pub 1024D/F0D7313C  sub 2048g/6AA2EDDB